We all hear new technical buzzwords and acronyms all the time: Wi-Fi, SATNAV, GPRS, 3G, 4G, 5G, LANs, Bluetooth . . . but what are all these things? The student will find the answer of all these questions and more by studying Mobile Communications Engineering - one of the fastest moving and most exciting fields of engineering. It has brought about a technological age all of its own, where you can watch video clips on your iPod or mobile; internet and email access is a menu button away on your mobile phone, and in-car satellite navigation (SATNAV) systems can map a route and direct you through the traffic.
The programme will be the first, if not in all Africa, in east and sup Sahara countries that give a BSc degree Communication Engineering that majors Mobile and Satellite Communications related courses. The student will learn about wireless networks, mobile systems communications, satellite communication and network technology, as well as undertaking a project that will focus on his main area of interest. Upon graduating from this programme the student will have developed the necessary skills and knowledge to take up a range of roles within this exciting industry.
As well as gaining the specialist knowledge and skills required to work in the mobile communications sector, the student will be able to:
1.Communicate effectively in a written and oral manner
2.Manipulate and present data in a variety of forms
3.Use scientific principles to design broad ranging systems
4.View problems from a wide perspective
5.Use IT tools effectively
6.Manage time and resources efficiently
7.Work effectively as a team member and as an individual
Appreciate the need for lifelong learning and continuous professional development
The aims of the programme are to:
1.Equip the students with the Latest Technology in the fields of Digital, Mobile and Satellite Technologies.
2.Enhance the Knowledge of the Engineers by introducing the third- generation mobile communications.
3.Creating Better Career Opportunities:
4.Create a link between University and Industry:
5.Understand Advanced Trends in 3G/4G with international mobile firms and vendors.
6.Prepare the students for running Research and for getting MSc:
7.Give the student the Opportunity to get Professional Certificate as: Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) certification and the Certified Wireless Network Administrator (CWNA) certification, one of the fastest growing qualifications
To fulfil the objectives aims and the mission of the Programme, the Programme Educational Objectives are to equip the students with:
1. An advanced knowledge of broad range of topics related to digital, mobile and satellite communication
2. The fundamentals associated with mobile communications and the latest advances in the mobile communications field.
3. Knowledge on the fundamental features and characteristics of 2.5G/3G/4G mobile systems.
4. Knowledge on the fundamentals of Satellite Technology
5. Knowledge on the theory behind the underlying networks that allow mobile communications.
6. Knowledge on the meaning of Quality of Service (QoS) support and mobility management.
7. Knowledge related to the security mechanisms and the convergence between mobile and Internet technologies.
8. Practical experience of developing applications for mobile phones.
9. Knowledge on advanced topics in digital signal processing such as multirate signal processing, linear prediction and optimal linear filter, least-squares methods, adaptive filter, power spectrum estimation, applications to speech processing
10. Knowledge on the basic communication theory and the system design techniques through a simulation scheme which is essential to design and analyze the communication system.
11. Knowledge on concepts related to next generation networks such as ad hoc network, wireless sensor network, vehicular ad hoc network, home network, RFID and Mobile IPv6.
12. Knowledge on mobile standards, management, regulations and economy.
Engineering Mechanics – Statics
Engineering Mechanics – Dynamics
Mathematics for Engineers 1
Mathematics for Engineers –II
Engineering Drawing & CAD
Physics for Engineers II
Physics for Engineers 1
Electrical Principles II
Electrical Principles 1
Introduction to Engineering Material
Computer Methods 1 (C language)
Applied Finite Mathematics
Mathematics for Engineers –IV
Mathematics for Engineers –III
Optics & Wave Motion
Computer Methods II (C++ language)
Introduction to Communication Systems
Digital Logic Design
Wireless Communication Systems
Microcontroller Based Systems
Principles of Mobile and Satellite Systems
Principles of wireless Mobile Networks
Statistics & Probability
Digital Signal Processing
Antennas and Propagation
Communications Networks/ Internet Engineering
Optical Communications System Design
Communications SW Development
Security And Encryption
Mobile Systems Hardware Technologies
Media and Entertainment Engineering